Suubi medical internships Uganda for university students, including doctors, Nurses. Physiotherapists, Dentists, Midwives Occupational therapists
We at Suubi Medical centre run Suubi medical internships Uganda offering clinical elective placements for medical students who are in their penultimate or final year of a clinical study. We are a small rural facility with no facilities but we work in partnership with Iganga district main hospital and other hospitals which helps us give medical elective students a wide experience. We welcome students from both the USA, UK and EU plus students from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan providing they have completed a minimum of 3 years of their medical degree programme including 12 months of clinical training.
Placements are available in a number of specialities and are undertaken at our Suubi medical centre and surrounding local areas and Iganga district hospital depending on availability.
What are the available Suubi medical internships Uganda?
We currently offer seven different medical student elective placements in Uganda. for university students, including Medicine. Nursing. Physiotherapy. Dentistry. Midwifery. Occupational therapy.
We have Uganda medical elective internships for medical students including, doctors, nurses, midwives, dentists, physiotherapists, student midwives and more.
Why come to Suubi medical internships Uganda ?
Health is a major agenda and at the forefront of what we do in Iganga. You will experience first-hand the care of vulnerable patients within a rural Ugandan healthcare system with limited resources.
General medical, general surgical, labour & delivery, paediatrics, outpatients clinic, community, laboratories (biomedical sciences), physiotherapy, dentistry, HIV outpatients and counselling services, social work, women’s empowerment, teaching & children’s development, trauma & Emergency Surgery
How we help with your Suubi medical internships Uganda
- Suubi medical elective tailored to your clinical interests
- Comprehensive pre-trip preparation
- Dedicated (24/7) in-country support team
- Private, catered accommodation
- Uganda airport pick-up and drops
- All meals and orientation
Book Now & Pay later for Suubi elective internships Uganda
Book our suubi medical elective today with a low deposit and pay the balance later or in instalments. Our Suubi medical elective deposit options are flexible which means you can pay as and when you like, with any amount, as long as you are paid by the due date.
At Suubi medical centre elective internships you will:
1. Improve your clinical skills and clinical knowledge by shadowing Uganda health professionals and guided learning activities at Suubi medical centre or at Iganga district hospital.
2. Exposure to various Uganda healthcare specialities (depending on your interest).
3. Opportunity to witness unique village medical conditions that you have only read in books about tropical diseases.
4. Challenge your critical thinking ability and inventiveness due to limited resources in Suubi medical centre.
5. Enhance skills like communication, confidence, teamwork, leadership, resilience, organising, planning, and teamwork through working with fellow students and other healthcare staff in the local Iganga district hospital and Suubi medical centre where you will be placed.
6. Give you a chance to travel around Uganda, unwind, meet new people and interact with Busoga culture.
What will I observe on my Suubi elective placement?
- Ugandan different cultural attitudes towards medical care.
- How religious beliefs may affect medical practice in Uganda.
- Poor patients in both towns and rural communities who can’t afford even the most basic treatment
- Some late medical presentations and advanced conditions
- You will also see major differences in the fundamentals of nursing.
- For example, in many medical facilities in Uganda, you will see families take responsibility for many tasks that would (in the West) fall to a nurse, like personal care.
- Students on electives are supervised at the hospital and suubi medical centre and they live, integrating with the local community.
- Suubi medical centre lacks modern medical facilities, so medical volunteers should plan to bring their own instruments and medical supplies.
- We offer medical placements at Suubi medical centre for Student medical Doctors, student nurses, physiotherapists and trainee dentists
What is the length of the Suubi medical elective internships Uganda ?
- The basic elective period we offer at Suubi is four weeks, but you can add any number of weeks depending on your University requirements.
- You can also explore the country on the weekends with Msafiri tours safaris and other adventure activities.
- You can also opt to stay in Uganda to either travel or get involved with some of the travel programmes and other projects run by Msafiri tours.
What are the dates, daily routine of Suubi medical elective internships in Uganda?
- We can host medical elective students at Suubi medical centre and Iganga hospital all year round, arriving in Kampala on a Saturday or before so that you have time to settle into your new surroundings. This also enables us to have time to transfer you to your elective location in Iganga and have you in place and ready to start your Elective on a Monday morning.
- You will be expected to work a minimum of five shifts per week with each shift being an average of 8 hours long.
Weekly rotas and ward rounds will be arranged on the ground with your supervising doctor at Iganga hospital and Suubi Medical centre designed according to your preferences.
What should I expect during my Suubi medical elective internships?
- A range of medical conditions which you are unlikely to see in developed countries.
- To gain invaluable experience in managing medical situations with limited resources and prioritising where there are little or no assumptions beforehand.
- To be involved with the community in planning and developing health promotion programmes in Busu village and Iganga district.
- To develop personal, financial and organisational skills within broad ecological criteria, sensitive to environmental, social and cultural requirements.
- To be part of a program that increases the profile of health care in a Ugandan rural community and more important psychological implications of HIV, hepatitis and orphans.
What are the local benefits to Suubi medical centre and Iganga hospital?
- You will help all the patients that you work with while at Suubi medical centre and Iganga hospital and you will be assisting the local Ugandan medical staff in hospitals, medical centres and clinics.
- You are in Uganda to learn, but your presence is of great practical and emotional help, and there is a good chance you will also be communicating with the families and friends of patients.
- You will make a difference in people and use your own verbal and non-verbal skills in a very beneficial and powerful way.
- Many people you meet in Iganga and Busu village will be illiterate and the word of a medical person is very regarded.
- You will benefit the local Iganga community by spending in the local shops, on entertainment, weekend visits or day trips. Your trip to Uganda allows us to use many local people.
- The medical electives we offer enable us to keep some of the projects at Suubi Medical centre going.
What do I need to prepare for your Suubi medical elective internships Uganda?
You don’t need specific training before a Suubi medical centre elective. Do read up on Uganda before you travel, in particular, the areas that you are planning to travel to. Prior knowledge of the history, cultures, tribes and Uganda local customs will enhance your trip.
The majority of Ugandans speak good English and you will have very little trouble communicating, but you may find it useful for learning a few key Luganda or Kiswahili words and phrases. The local Ugandan people love to see that you made an effort to learn the language.
Why use Suubi medical elective internships Uganda ?
- We are very basic with very minimal resources but have over the years developed a keen eye on minute details and we have a well-established relationship with Iganga hospital and other health care providers.
- We have flexible electives with no fixed dates
- All staff at suubi medical centre and Iganga hospital are experienced and speak good English
- We support the local Busu village and Iganga town economy through our work
- We have staff on hand to help teach you whenever you need us
- We combine your elective with a chance to explore and travel in Uganda with Msafir tours
What is the application process?
Applications are open, all you need to do is submit your CV and Cover Letter and academic certificates from the university. Your CV should be in a consulting appropriate format and your cover letter should include your reasons for wanting to take part in the Suubi medical elective internships and why you would be an appropriate fit.
Where do I start now?
Get in touch. We are ready to answer any and all your questions and will paint a vivid picture of what medical elective placement at Suubi medical centre and Iganga hospital could look like for you.